Friday, January 17, 2014

Making the Carvin MTS3200 suck less

A few months ago, I purchased a used Carvin MTS3200 from a friend who had it sitting in his music store.  It had been there for a while and he didn't really understand quite why it wasn't selling.  I played it and thought it was a cool tube head.  After awhile, my Fender Twin was getting a little long in the tooth for what I was playing and the voice in my head told me I needed something with some high gain.  So, after some horse-trading, I called the MTS3200 mine.

I have owned a ton of different amps from different manufacturers and brands over the years, but I didn't have a whole lot of experience with Carvin.  I had friends that owned some and my father had some of their equipment back in the day, but that was about it.  For me, this was really an unknown.

Superficially, the MTS3200 Master Tube Series (also known as the Metal Tone Series by some) has some pretty decent specifications.  It's a two channel, foot-swtichable head with master reverb and presence controls.  Each channel has its own independent tone stack consisting of Treble, Mid, and Bass.  Channel one, the lead channel, is the high gain side of the amp with a volume and drive control.  Channel two is clean-ish with a single volume.  There is no master volume on the amp.  It's a pretty standard design on the front panel.

The specs on the amp list it as a 100 watt model, which is switchable to 50 watts.  It has two speaker cabinet outputs with a 4, 8, or 16 ohm impedance selector.  It has output jacks for a FS22 footswitch, cabinet voiced line out, and an effects loop.  It has a bias adjustment switch to allow the use of either EL34 power tubes or 6L6GC.

Brad, you're selling this pretty good but the title of the post implies a problem …

For being a tube amp, the entire thing is pretty sterile.  It doesn't have a lot of life out of the box.  I know this isn't just mine because after some research online, it's a pretty common complaint and really explains why this amp didn't really fly off the shelf.

It has a pretty respectable clean channel that takes effects well when they are thrown right into the input.  It is not a Fender clean by any stretch of the imagination, but it's competent for most things.  The big problem however is that lead channel.  Although it is a tube head, Carvin made a decision in the mid-1990s to use clipping diodes to drive the high-gain aspects of the amp.  This is an 80's trick that was employed in some pretty big name amps at the time, but it's a technique that is kind of like spandex, leg warmers, and big hair - it's time went and passed and is now better left in the decade of Gordon Gekko.

What this does is takes our nice tube gain and as our volume climbs, which means more voltage passes through the circuit (in a high-level sense), we begin to feed the second gain stage and drive it higher and higher.  This is good and gives us that ooey gooey tube goodness we love so much.  But then the current gets to a fever pitch when our drive is fully saturating the circuit and BOOM - clipping diodes work their solid state magic to block our distorted climax.  What should be an awesome sample of audio orgasm really turns into a cheap dirt pedal in the chain.  The sound becomes brittle and thin and that's just no good.  So what can be done about this?

Mod Part One

Disclaimer:  I am a crazy fool that has no problem poking around inside tube amplifiers.  However, the voltage inside these bad boys can kill.  There are big capacitors that are designed to do nothing more than get, hold, and release filtered power to the rest of the circuit.  Because of this, they hold onto power for a long time.  If you don't know what you're doing - don't do it.  Do not say, "But Brad told me to do it!" or have your next of kin try that either.  I'm crazy, but I will only play around with cold amps that have been properly discharged of voltage - I recommend you do the same.


I did some research on other mods people have done and came to a few conclusions.  We can see, in the image above, the path from V1.A to V2.A is pretty straight forwards.  We have a 47k resistor at r11, a .0022 400v capacitor at C14, four 1n4745 diodes at D1 - D4 that are in the path, and then pin 7.  Some people have approached this by simply removing D1 - D4, which creates a direct path from C14 to pin 7.  The problem is that within this design, the diodes act to regulate voltage hitting pin 7.  Simply removing them isn't the best idea.  The goal is to maintain the design integrity of the amp design while getting rid of these diodes.



In the picture above, this is the section of the board being worked on.  In the center of the picture is socket V2, which houses both V2.A and V2.B.  I've circled and marked pin 7, which is easy enough to find simply by looking at where the "1" is on the board and counting around, clockwise, until you reach pin 7.  Directly below that is C14 and directly below that are the four diodes (D1 - D4).

A voltage divider to the rescue.  For this, I removed D1 - D4 and installed a 150k resistor from the pin 7 side of C14 to pin 7.  This wasn't too bad, however be warned that the board will have to be removed from the chassis to do this neatly - especially C14.  Doing this gave me one half of the divider, which created a resistance between the two points.  To complete the divider, I added a 150k resister from pin 7 to ground.  For simplicity, after desoldering the diodes, an astute reader may notice D4 and D2 connect to ground, which can be reused in this modification.


This design works pretty well and is clean.  It doesn't eliminate the diodes and the attendant design implications they have, but it replaces them with pure resistance.  Part one of the mod is done, but there's a second part.

Mod Part Two

Many people who have modded this amp have reported delay and various oscillations in the gain stage when trying to eliminate the diodes.  Honestly, there are a thousand and one things that can be affected in the process and it's not my place or inclination to track them down.  While I could do the math, quite frankly, I don't really want to.  That being said, the most reasonable fix is to stabilize this adjusted current in the next stage, which is really the other half of the V2 12AX7.



Here, we can see the next stage, which essentially runs from after our first voltage divider, through the tone stack of the lead channel and then into the next tube.  Don't get too confused, we are still working with the same physical tube, but it's the other half of it.  Our first mod removed the diodes and replaced them with a voltage divider.  This means that while we got rid of the solid state nasty, we did modify the amount of voltage winding its way through the tone stack and into the next tube.  Obviously, this will change the tone profile of this channel, so we need to compensate.

Another voltage divider to the rescue.  For this, I simply lifted the ends of C22 and R17 and put in a 220K resistor between them and pin 2.  Note that pin 2 and C22 are across the board from each other and will require some tracing of the PC board leads to really visually see the path.  There are several jumpers spanning the distance and it may require some creativity to get it taken of.  My specific PC board was Rev C while the schematic posted is Rev E.  My portions were mostly the same, but to the reader, be wary.

In line with this first resistor, I put in a 680pf Cap in parallel.  This serves to attenuate some of the higher frequency response and bleeds off some of the brittle-ness of the overall post-tone stack signal.  This is really a preference thing for me and can be changed up to dial in the response by simply changing out values on capacitors.

Much like the previous voltage divider, I then inserted another 220k resistor between pin 2 and ground. Again, while the schematic shows some distance between the stages, this is the same tube socket, so those convenient diode ground connections are available for use.  It makes things much cleaner.

And that was that.

Once I was finished with the soldering iron, I metered all of my connections to ensure the signal path was showing the expected resistance and then I reassembled.  Happily, Carvin used a whole series of quick connectors to connect the board to ground, other boards, transformers, and switches.  This prevented a lot of unsoldering or fighting with wires, however, I HIGHLY recommend labeling each wire prior to disconnection.  It makes reassembly that much easier.

After reconnecting everything and giving the pots a good cleaning, I reinstalled the tubes and gave her a test run.  The distortion was chunky with a very smooth sustain.  The pots were very responsive and went all the way from a quiet grumble on low settings to over the top screaming at 10.  The bass was a bit more boomy after the mod, so I rolled that back slightly, but all in all it was a success.  My only gripe is that the amp is very sensitive to the guitar running through it.  My PRS sounds like a dream but my Strat, while still rocking, creates a lot of noise on the lead channel.  But after 15 years, maybe it's time to revisit my strat.

I haven't really had time to get to know this amp yet now that it's been retrained.  I'll see how it goes and update as necessary.

29 comments:

  1. Hey "The Brad" , Very cool of you to share your knowledge. I tried a MTS3200 a while back and it was not all bad but I didn't spend much time with it.
    I recently found a demo with no mod description and it sounded very Marshall Plexi like on the lead channel.
    He said he removed all of the clipping diodes but had to re balance the pre amp stages and moved the tone stack to the end of the chain like the Marshall. Kind of sounds like greek to me but your schematics and picture look great . I just wonder if removing the diodes , balancing the pre amp stages and moving the tone stack would be as straight forward as your mod ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - thanks for reading through my rambling on this project!

    When I first started playing with this project, I looked around at what some other people had done and tried to strike a balance. Eliminating the Diodes from the circuit weren't that challenging. The biggest deal with a mod on an amp like this is dealing with the manufactured assembly. There are a TON of quick connects and the main board has to be removed to do any work. Other than that, things are very straightforward.

    The big thing is the placement of the tone stack in circuit. I could ramble on and on about that in general. The big part of what made the difference between a '59 Fender Bassman and a JTM45 was the location of the tone stack in circuit. I definitely believe there would be a change to be made to the tone if it were moved in this circuit. I don't know if it's worth the effort on this kind of design. The nice thing about this amp is the switchable bias for EL34s or 6L6s, which would probably give a different flavor.

    All in all, I'm not a huge fan of this amp. Even cranked full out, it just doesn't have a great push in a live setting. Even at 100 watts into a very good 412 cabinet, it doesn't rock the way you would expect. My guess is that it's an anemic power amp into a "meh" output transformer. But honestly, I haven't done much to check into it deeper.

    All that said, these things go pretty cheap and are built rock solid. Even if you experimented and blew it up, you would only be out maybe a couple - three hundred bucks. I've had a lot more expensive stupid experiments!

    Good luck - feel free to check out some of my other projects https://www.facebook.com/grassfedamps

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive herd of this before unfortunately i blew my mts 3200 up last night. tried to use the fx out as a head phone jack and smoked r27,28.78.79 replaced them and it happened again lol so i gave up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do that, you have to make sure you have a load on the output transformer that can handle the output wattage. Solid state amps are infinitely more forgiving, but if you just plug in the headphone into the preamp out without anything connected to the actual speaker outputs, you will ultimately fry things. If you run it that way for any length, you can also pull the output tubes, which will simply run the preamp. I would say, fire up the soldering iron, replace the popped resistors, and try, try again!

      Delete
    2. Mine smoked those too , but it still works?

      Delete
  4. Brad,

    I will be performing this modification in the next week and I wanted to know how you got the values for the resistors in the voltage divider(s)? Also, has this modification worked out for you? I heard this turns the lead channel into a plexi-type sound, which is fine, but have you experienced any of the grid blocking that has been reported?
    I am no stranger to a soldering iron and I am a physics teaching assistant (so I understand the math, kind of (I have some professors that are good to bounce this kind of stuff off of)) but this is my first foray into amplifier modification (actually the second after I perform the bias mod on my 5150II).

    Is there a drop in current after the diodes? I know they conduct at .7V so the voltage would be +2.8V if they were removed, and I understand that the resistor is needed to divert that voltage to ground, but I do not really understand how you got the values for the resistors in the tone stack? did you take a reading and do the math on the spot or did you know what you were going to do and more importantly how did you know that. I am fairly familiar with Ohm's law, I'm a little rusty with it but I get it, and my calculation with your resistor values in the first modification yield an increase in current of +.009mA, which is practically nothing, but I do not know the context for that value.

    I have a lot of questions, I feel confident when I open her up I will be able to recall my knowledge, but if you could point me in the right direction with the math (more from a conceptual standpoint) that would be awesome.

    Thanks a lot,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to say that I went though everything with a pen and paper and factored all of the math to arrive at the values, but that just wasn't the case. My main goal was to remove the diodes from the path since there was always a very distinct shift in the quality of the tone from around "9" on the pot where the diodes clipped and gave the super-saturated distortion. Instead of reinventing the wheel so to say, I did a lot of research on the various mods that have already been performed, which as you can imagine, yielded a ton of results.

      As I filtered through the work others have done before me, I saw a few that appeared to yield success as well as some that didn't. There were a variety of values on the first voltage divider resistors that seemed in the appropriate range. The big thing was that several factors come into play to arrive at the final values. First, you always have to take into account the wall voltage. Too high of voltage and your main voltage from the transformer will be higher, while too low and the voltage drops off. It's not so huge of a deal in most modern amps, but I also tend to do a lot of vintage amp work and in that case it is a big deal. The second factor is what is the quality and specific character of the tube in V2. Not all tubes are created equal.

      So, my goal was to really provide the results I wanted in the setup I had under the conditions present. I ultimately stated at the middle of the road with the resistor values and worked incrementally to find what worked for my ear and sounded pleasing. This was really the case with the second voltage divider as well. By compensating at both ends with the two voltage dividers, I had none of the reported problems with oscillations.

      My best advice is, assuming you are good with the math and confident that you can do what needs to be done in the presence of potentially lethal voltage, then go with the algebra for the theoretical understanding of what's happening, but ultimately let your ear be the guide. Resistors are cheap!

      Cheers!

      Delete

  5. Hey brad,
    Awesome post! I just got my old MTS up and running although i still need to fully repair the Lead circuit. I had the impedance in the wrong position and burnt up some components. I been looking into fixing it and came across your blog and some videos of mods which is exciting and something I would love to do, especially if I’m already in there replacing things. I wanted to pick your brain about a mod I saw on YouTube. All he seems to have done was remove the diodes and put a 100K resistor from D3 to the ground on D4 as well as paralleled a 10K on C22 for mid boost. I really dug the tone he had in the video but I worry if the 100K in the diodes position is enough, what do you think? I enjoyed the tone I’m just worried about frying other components. You seem to really know your stuff and your mod seems top notch, I’m really interested to hear your mod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is so late - for whatever reason, I didn't reply, which it my bad. Eleven months later this might be a bit after the fact, but the rule of thumb I've learned with tube amps is there are two common resistor values in most portions of the preamp section - 100k and 220k. Usually, you have to look at the schematics to see what works best but the normal arrangement is that these resistors form a voltage divider - 2 100k resistors will generally modify the voltage down to around half when input goes to r1 - half voltage sits between r1 and r2 and r2 is tied to the ground reference. You can see that all over the schematics for the Carvin as well as if you study the old fender circuits (and marshals and others). Doubt that helps terribly, but for the most part, these are pretty resilient beasts - if you fry something it will normally be pretty cheap like a resistor or a diode or a cap. Try things out and see how it goes. Failure is just the first step in learning!

      Delete
  6. Hello! I have an MTS3200 (PCB Rev H...). I pulled the diodes and just installed a 56K resistor between C14 and ground, neglecting to uncouple C14 from pin 7 with another resistor. The sound was OK, but any adjustment to the Drive control gave a great big scratching sound. I wasn't using the amp anyway, just fooling around, so I put it back in storage and just got it out again today to play around with LED's in place of the diodes. I used to own a Marshall Silver Jubilee with clipping diodes and I liked that amp quite a bit so I'm willing to mess around with this one just to see what it sounds like. I will keep you posted. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you encounter scratching, it's usually a good indication that there's a DC voltage leak in the signal. Old Tweed Bassman style presence controls were notorious for that effect since they were playing with DC as it modified the AC signal path across the variable resistor. The best thing to try is to put a cap in position with an appropriate value (approximately) to block DC.

      I've heard of guys that have used LEDs in place of the diodes. I haven't done it with this amp, but it's used pretty commonly within various drive pedals. LEDs are just diodes themselves so they affect the signal clipping in a similar fashion with different colors bringing about different responses. I don't have a link off-hand, but Brian Wampler has a video on Youtube that goes through the concept when used in conjunction with distortion circuits - you might find it useful and informative. Dig through the archives on his channel - it's worth the time! Cheers!

      Delete
  7. WhiskeyTangoDelta here...I want to thank everyone here, The Brad in particular, for giving me the food for thought, a recipe for (hopefully) getting bona-fide overdriven tube tone and just enough courage to go for my first amplifier modification in my very first Tube amp! It almost sounds like you guys are getting me laid for the first time! Glad to have the wingmen here to propel me into the world of tone which I purposely avoided for 30 years because in 1986 I did not have the internet as a tool for demystifying the rather intimidating world of the tube amp...I was a kid with little money surrounded by charlatans claiming to know what was what and how and why things were the way they were...my instincts served me well because it was bullshit and opportunism that I could smell every time I went near most shops. Glad I waited--I learned how to play over the last thirty years to the extent that I can, and now, finally I will be able to enjoy the sound of the balls God gave me, not just being glad that I have a pair! THat's my thought and here's my thanks brothers--I 'preciate the shit out of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kudos. This was mostly a labor of trying to get some useful information out on an amp that has some really cool bones that could be awesome for more than the designers at Carvin tried to appeal to. I'm not a trained EE by any stretch, but through the power of the internet and the information that's been put into it over the decades, there's a lot of great information - there's also a ton of crap, but after awhile I got a sense for what was good and what wasn't. It's never too late to learn! The biggest piece of advice I can give is whenever playing with a tube amp, make sure you keep one hand in your pocket - otherwise, play around on ones you don't care about until you find something that doesn't let the magic smoke out! Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Well, last night I finally got the proper resistors soldered in and this morning I'll get the capacitor put in there. After I review the photos of the stock assembly and I triple check my re-connections after reassembly I'm a gonna power this puppy up! Wish me luck and I'll let ya know how it goes!

      Delete
  8. I own a '98 MTS 3212. I'm not really sure why it's so hip to mod these now--mine sounds fine to me. Tube choice is definitely important, though: I have the Chinese 12ax7a in V1, V2 and Sovtek 5881's in the boiler room biased at 60%. I suspect that the "buzziness" associated with the gain tone more is a result of the 220k plate load resistors in the first three gain stages than the diodes between V1a and V2b, which mainly clip out the low end. The only mod I would really consider is for the Lead Presence control, which is unusable beyond '4'. I suppose that would involve raising the value of C28 to .0033 or .0047uf, which would give me more control over the upper mids. Anyways, my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your post. This post really help me a lot and I have learnt some new things from your blog.best tube amplifier

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did your mod earlier tonight and it worked beautifully. I have the combo version (MTS 3212) with a Rev E board in it that I got in a super-cheap trade years ago, and the amp had been somewhat butchered and non-functional. The previous guy had modded it by removing the diodes and replacing them with a single 100k resistor, which didn't do the job (the "delay" issue you mentioned, which is grid-blocking distortion). Basically, I put diodes back in so I at least wouldn't have to fight the grid-blocking while trying to diagnose all the OTHER issues with the amp, which ended up being a blown screen resistor, a bad plate resistor on the reverb, and a damaged trace at the power inverter.

    Anyway, I basically kept the diodes in because I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to mod it properly, and I kinda dug the "metal tone" which works for me as a primarily metal player. But of course I found your blog, and I can't leave well enough alone, so I tore the amp apart again and did the mods. Tone-wise, it's definitely less "metal" than I would like. but maybe more modding could improve that. In fact, if anyone wants to make the amp a little less muddy, here's what else I did: Swapped C1 to 1uf, swapped R1 to 220k (or higher, up to 1 meg would also be good), and swapped C11 to 2.2nf. Basically that reduces the bass into the first preamp stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and for what it's worth, I didn't put in the 680pf in parallel, which would actually increase treble rather than reduce it (think of it like the bright cap on a volume pot). I also removed R29 and R30 and put jumpers in instead - the heaters on this amp are rather starved, and jumping those resistors increases the heater voltage to V1 and V2. They're still only about 5.2v, but there's no more I can do there. Those resistors are technically "Fuselinks", but I can't see what they're actually protecting, and they've made enough heat over the years that the board has discoloured and warped.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. This amp model in general is a bit of an odd one. Out of the box it tries to be metal, it tries to be old fashioned rock and roll, and it tries to be a clean machine - all while not really doing any of it great. But, it's not to say it's bad either. Over the years, I've come to respect that this amp is a great "almost there" platform that can be pushed into what you need. My tendency with removing the diodes from the signal was to basically center it more towards a mid-gain bluesy type of head. I've never been a fan of the integrated silicon-based dirt found in a lot of designs like this one, the JCM900-series, and a lot of the Fender products. My preference is to run the base amp clean or with a bit of growl and then push it over the edge using a good effects chain of OD, fuzz, and distortion. THat's why I'm glad to hear you tried some different things since this is definitely a season to taste type of mod.

      One of the things I learned years ago is that with any complex system, it should be roughly working as expected before modding or "improving". If not, you're just shooting at a moving target and dealing with oscillations, blocking issues, and all sorts of undesirable effects. Good to hear you got things worked out and to your liking. Regarding your mods to the input signal tone - definitely good recommendations. If you already have the board out of the chassis, might as well try some things and see how they work out since the most time consuming part of all of this is disassembly / reassembly.

      It's interesting your observations about R29 and R30. I personally haven't seen any signs of over voltage on my board or the two or three other examples of this amp I've been in over the past few years. I wonder if you might have had some issues at some point or if a previous owner had these blow up in the past. However, as much as I like protection on sensitive components, I would probably be inclined to do as you did and replace these resistors with jumpers. If your circuit is worth protecting then just throw a fuse in rather than something like a melting resistor.

      But, this makes me wonder - considering your under-voltage condition on the heaters, if you have an issue with your power transformer. You should be putting out full rated voltage on the heaters otherwise even at 5.2v you're affecting tube life. Makes me wonder if you're getting rated voltage off the primaries and at other test points in the circuit...

      Delete
    3. I hear you man, I was never a fan of the JCM900 either - the 800 and the 2000's were much better (for different styles of music, of course), and no clipping diodes in those ones. I've done a bit more playing with my MTS today, and pushing a little volume I think I like it better now than how it sounded before, but still room for tweaking. I'm the opposite of you though - I prefer amp distortion over any pedal, though using a TS to push an amp is usually good with me.

      Second paragraph, that's pretty much what I had in mind - I couldn't tell for sure which problems were due to the diodes being removed, so I put them back to help rule out that as an issue. It's good diagnostic practice to anyone else who might read this.

      With regard to R29/R30 and starved heaters, another forum I read recently mentioned that the heater supply tap from the power transformer on these amps is not really up to the job.

      http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132161#p1535398

      To quote him: "The heater supply is rated at 5.9 amps. With a quad of 6L6 and preamp tubes your pulling 5.1 amps. With a quad of EL34's your pulling 7.5 amps. So with EL34's the V1 and V2 filaments average 4.5v DC under load since the heater supply is not robust enough. also dumpling the 56 ohm fuseable links also helps kick the heater voltage up a tad."

      I'm running 6L6's so technically I should be within spec, but it runs the heater supply at 86% of it's maximum all the time, which might be pushing it with a transformer that's "known" to be a bit weak.

      Also, lemme see if I'm doing my math correctly. R29 and R30 supply heaters for two tubes (300ma per tube at 6.3v). Running 600ma through those 0.56ohm resistors means they're dropping ~0.34v each, and the tubes only get ~5.62v for heaters. As well, 600ma through those resistors means they're each dissipating 0.2 watts, and since they're a 1/4 watt size resistor I think that's pushing it a little, and that's why there's some heat damage around mine.

      Besides, the heaters for a pair of 12AX7's are much less likely to short and damage something than the heaters in a quad of 6L6's (and the other 3 12AX7's), none of which have any sort of fusing protection, so I wonder what they were thinking...

      I'm gonna fire mine up again and check all the voltages vs the schematic.

      Delete
    4. Ok, wall voltage is 120.3v right now. I get 5.73v AC on the V6-V9 heaters, 5.65v AC on V3-V5, and 5.48v DC on the V1-V2 heaters, where it obviously should be 6.3v. Between V3-5 and V6-9, I'm guessing there's some voltage drop on the jumper wires in between.

      Pulling a pair of the 6L6's, which should reduce heater current to 3.3 amps, I get 6.05v AC on V6-V9, 5.85v AC on V3-V5, and 5.67V on V1-V2.

      My B+ voltage is 468v (should be 455v). Screens are getting 457V (should be 445v), 429V for the C+ (should be 415V), and 397V for D+ (should be 385v).

      All the non-heater voltages look fine, but heaters are definitely undervolted. Not much I can do, apart from play the damn amp and buy tubes a bit more often. I've got a small crate of those anyway.

      Delete
    5. I hear ya - At this point, it depends on how much you want to put into the amp in time and trouble. Anything is fixable given the willingness to devote resources. However, I'd truly consider exactly how much I wanted to put in to fixing an old Carvin MTS. I mean if you really, really dig the amp then by all means do what you gotta do. Personally, for me I tend to put it on about the same scale as most old amps of the same price-range and capability, which means I'll play it till it melts or collects too much dust on one of my shelves to be recognizable.

      Just for kicks since for whatever reason, this blog post gets a fair number of readers, I'm gonna pontificate a bit about your situation. Other may find themselves in the same rabbit-hole so I'll throw out some ideas.

      Your B+ for the mains voltage seems right in the ballpark. You're running about 2% - 3% over spec, which is well within tolerance. The troubling thing is even though the B+ is over, your heater taps seem to still be well under voltage.
      - To me, this would likely indicate a failure in the power transformer of some type. It could be anything from poor QC on the actual transformer where the taps for the filament were just done wrong all the way to some other internal failure condition from heat, wear, abuse, or whatever.
      - This could be solved easily and quickly by procuring a different transformer and checking to see if the voltages improve. A better option would be to obtain a much better spec'd transformer that was up to the task; however, I have not researched potential replacements - though I would not expect it be too difficult as long as voltage was roughly the same and the same taps existed.
      - An alternate solution would be to obtain a second transformer to only run the heaters. This would obviously be a 6.3v @ ~8 - 10amps. The challenge on this would be sourcing the transformer and of course mounting and installing it within the available space of the chassis.
      - The alternate, alternate option would be to simply tap some B+ (or other DC source) and bring it down to 6.3v DC that could be used to power the heaters. This would likely result in having to modify quite a bit in the circuit what with the addition of dropping resistors of appropriate size and value, smoothing capacitors to clean up the rectified voltage further, as well as other components that might be necessary, this should not be gone into lightly.

      The other option would be to bias your power tubes on the cold side and just prepare to not have epically long life on any of the tubes across the board. That takes nothing more than a few turns of the bias pot and resigning yourself to your fate.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well after reading all of that, this inexpensive head is seeming less like a "deal".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I've got one of those as well as the MTS. The X100B is a MUCH better sounding amp than the MTS, any day of the week.

      That said, the MTS clean channel is fantastic - it's entirely tube (not a single shred of solid state) and even the reverb is tube-driven. In fact, the only solid state junk in the entire amp is the clipping diodes and the DC rectifiers in the power supply. By comparison, the X100B uses op-amps for the EQ and reverb - which isn't necessarily a bad thing; Fender does this all the time. Also, a pet peeve of mine, it shares the EQ with both channels instead of having separate EQ's.

      Delete